August 15th-September 16th, 2012!
East Maui Watershed Partnership’s artistic celebration of Maui’s native wildlife.
An annual juried art exhibition at Viewpoints Gallery in Makawao
- Receiving Day for All Artwork: Sunday, August 12th (5pm-8pm) & Monday, August 13th (9am-1pm)
- Jurying: Monday, August 13th
- Notification of Results: Monday, August 13th
- Pick Up for Non-Selected Work: Tuesday, August 14th (10am-6pm)
- Jurors’ Walk-through: Friday, August 17th 4pm
- Blessing & Opening: Friday, August 17th 5pm
- Exhibition Dates: August 15th – September 16th
- Pick Up for Selected Work not sold: September 16th (10am-6pm)
Talk Stories Thursdays: 6-7pm at Viewpoints Gallery in Makawao
- August 23rd: Robert Hobdy (Native Plant Specialist)
- August 30th: Emily Fielding (Maui Marine Coordinator for The Nature Conservancy)
- September 6th: Dr. Fern Duvall (Wildlife Biologist for the State of Hawai’i)
- September 13: Randy Bartlett (EMWP Program Manager)
Mālama Wao Akua
It started with an informal poll of artists and galleries in upcountry Maui: “What do you think about an art contest to highlight the native flora and fauna of Maui?” The response was “Yes! Let’s do it!”
For seven years now, the East Maui Watershed Partnership has worked with Viewpoints Gallery in Makawao to produce the Mālama Wao Akua juried art contest. Artists young and old, professional and amateur have answered the call to help raise awareness about Maui’s native Hawaiian species and unique island ecosystems.
Starting in the spring of 2004 and every year after that (except 2006 when we had the poetry slam) the challenge goes out to Maui: create a piece of artwork, using any type of media, depicting a native plant, animal, insect, or native landscape of Maui. The community answers: from veteran painters to keiki artists, fence builders, teachers, and more. Maui’s artists take to the books, the internet, and into the forest with EMWP to search for inspiration.
Take a virtual tour of the artwork! Contest rules may change slightly from year to year, but if you’re interested in participating in the next contest, check out the rules and regulations.